[ALBUM REVIEW] STAYC - Stereotype

STAYC came back with a new mini-album, "Stereotype" on September 26, 2021, and I decided to give the whole album a listen.

Stereotype

The flute-like sounds at the start of this song gave a dreamy vibe. It can be an OST song for teen dramas like Extraordinary You (I love that K-drama.) I guess that's why the MV is like a high teen movie. The pre-chorus is so good and made me appreciate Isa's voice. She also did the bridge part and that was the highlight of the song. Chorus was already revealed as a teaser and I think that worked for this song. If I did not hear the chorus beforehand, I don't think I will like it on the first listen.


Speaking of chorus, I like the lyrics in that part. "Don't look with your tinted glasses on" is a good reminder to their fans. We tend to focus on visuals, and that we need to remind ourselves sometimes, that it's not all that. It does not fully reflect their real selves. Like the popular saying, we should not judge a book based on its cover.

(High teen is a term that comes from “high school” and “teenager”, commonly used to refer to coming-of-age movies in the West, like the popular Clueless.)

I'll be there

I like the guitar instrumentals and their vocals are very clear. I just realized they all love unique vocals and it really shines on mellow songs. I have to say I like Isa's voice out of all members. It's very light but not too airy. I also like the rap part of this song.

Slow Down


Slow Down talks about taking the love or relationship slowly. I believe in that too so I sang along to "haste makes waste". But the funny thing about this song is that compared to its title, the song is not slowing down. I feel like dancing at a beach party while listening to the song. It is very chill, whimsical, tropical.

Complex


Another song with acoustic guitar instrumentals, Complex talks about not being able to forget their past love but has hopes that they will forget them once a new love comes.

This is the song that I like the least but it fits as an ending song for the album. The rap part after the first verse is the best.

Overall: 4/5

I like Stereotype the first time it came out. It's not like ASAP with a really catchy post-chorus but this is, definitely, a better track than their past releases. This mini is also cohesive both the concept and the song they put out. I hope they continue releasing music that fits their age just like this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MV Reaction/Review] Weeekly - Ven Para

[MV Reaction/Review] NMIXX - O.O