[MV Reaction/Review] Weeekly - Ven Para

Bubbly KPOP girl group, Weeekly, came back with a mature, out-of-the-Earth, concept for their first single album called "Play Game: Awake" with their lead single "Ven Para". 


Music video: A fiery universe

There are a lot of cosmic references on the music video: starting from the big glaring sun to SOOJIN who is controlling the planets, the universe behind JIYOON on the bridge, JIHAN sitting on planet Mars, and the last chorus where they are dancing on dusty set full of rocks which will remind you of an inhabitable planet with seven portals behind them. 

I had to go back to their past music videos if there were signs of the universe and planets, and it was there since their debut! The laptop at the end of Ven Para made more sense when you see the planet stickers on the back of the laptop in Tag Me. They also dropped hints in After School (the phone background) and became more visible in Holiday Party.


Fire also appears very often, with one of their sets being bloody red. It makes sense because the music video focused on the sun. They also mentioned "burning up" so many times in the lyrics. 

Weeekly has always been the "cute, bubbly, happy" girl group on my list so I was surprised when I first watched the video. No After School and Tag Me vibes, the girls are wearing white, elegant outfits dancing in front of the sun. The blue-and-black and red-and-black mismatched outfits is leaning on the sexy, mature side too.

The Song: Hmm, I like Solar more

I did not find it enjoyable at first and second listen. It took me a performance to get into it. The best part of the song is the cheering after the bridge and before the last chorus. I also like the "oh bumpy yeah oh bumpy get low" with their hand movements which I believe is the key choreo. 

Speaking of the performance, they performed their B-side, Solar, on Music Bank which I believe is better than this title track. I like the pre-chorus of the song where they go "Shh. Do you hear that?" and the dance break up to the end of the song. MONDAY's adlibs were good. 

Final Thoughts

Weeekly is my go-to KPOP group when I want to listen to upbeat songs so the change aside, I expected this song will one-up their past releases. I have to say I liked their older sound more, and it might take a while for me to get used to this. 

Although they dropped hints about this cosmic concept, I still find the change abrupt. Some groups had smoother concept transition like their seniors, APINK. It is also a shame that they let go of their bubbly concept early. Despite that, I think they fit elegant and powerful girl group. Their storyline looks very interesting too. 

Get to know Weeekly

Weeekly is a South Korean girl group consisting of seven members: SOOJIN (Leader), JIYOON, MONDAY, SOEUN, JAEHEE, JIHAN, and ZOA. They are under IST Entertainment, formerly known as PLAY M, debuted on June 30, 2020, with their debut album ‘We Are’ featuring their title track, Tag Me (@Me).

Their fandom name is DAILEEE because “Without ‘Daileee (Daily)’ ‘Weeekly’ cannot exist.”, officially announced on August 23, 2020. 

Follow them in their socials:

Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Tiktok | Instagram | Weverse



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MV Reaction/Review] NMIXX - O.O